Orthopaedic surgery is a specialized medical field that treats and repairs musculoskeletal issues. Orthopaedic surgeons can treat you if you are injured in sports or suffer from underlying conditions. You should know these things about orthopaedic surgery.
Read on to learn more.
Common Types of Orthopaedic Surgeries
A few common orthopaedic surgeries include:
- Spinal Surgery: Spinal surgery treats herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spinal deformities, and other spinal conditions. It may involve removing bone spurs or scar tissue or fusing vertebrae to stabilize the spine.
- Knee Surgery: This type can repair torn ligaments in the knee or correct knee injuries caused by trauma. You can also replace damaged or worn-out knee joints to improve mobility and reduce pain.
- Hip Replacement: This type of surgery typically occurs when a patient has severe hip pain due to arthritis or other conditions. During this procedure, a damaged hip joint is replaced with an artificial one to restore function and improve mobility.
- Shoulder Surgery: This type can help repair torn rotator cuffs, dislocated shoulders, bursitis, frozen shoulders, and more. Depending on the severity of the injury or condition treated, shoulder surgery may involve repairing tears in tendons or ligaments or replacing joints with artificial components.
- Arthroscopy: This minimally invasive procedure uses cameras inserted into small incisions to diagnose and treat problems inside joints without needing open surgery. Arthroscopy can be used for shoulder repairs and treating conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbow.
Recovery Times for Orthopaedic Surgeries
Orthopaedic surgery recovery time depends on several factors, including the type of procedure performed, its extent, and how quickly it heals. You shouldn’t rush the recovery process. However long it takes to recover, you can safely return to strenuous activities once the body has recovered. Although most patients will need some rest following their operation, they can gradually return to their regular activities with regular physical therapy over time.
Pinehurst Orthopaedic Relief with Dr. John Moore
Do you have an orthopaedic problem? Get relief from your pain by scheduling a consultation with Dr. John Moore and his team of orthopaedic specialists in Pinehurst. Contact us for more information about our treatments at 910-295-0224.